You’re pregnant! Congratulations, Such an exciting time!!
I know, however, that it can also be a time of uncertainty and anxiety around food. If you’re feeling confused about exactly what you can, can’t and should be eating while pregnant, you’re not alone. Navigating dietary guidelines, food-safety recommendations, cravings and food aversions, morning (or rather, all bloody day) sickness and the HUGE amount of conflicting and often down-right incorrect information on the internet can leave even the most nutrition-savvy gal wondering what on earth she can eat!
While you might not be eating for two in terms of calories, the nutritional demands of pregnancy are high – that tiny human growing inside you is literally built from the nutrition you consume. It takes carbohydrates, fats, protein, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, water and ENERGY to build a baby – and those come directly from your diet.
And just to put more pressure on, recent research has shown that a mum’s diet and nutrition status during can actually program her baby’s genes – meaning your pregnancy diet can impact your baby’s lifelong health, including its:
- Metabolism and appetite regulation
- Risk of obesity and other chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer
- Immune system and respiratory function
- Cognitive function and mental and emotional health
Terrifying as it may seem, pregnancy presents a unique and limited opportunity to give your baby the best possible start to life by optimising your own diet. So if you’re feeling confused and overwhelmed about your pregnancy diet, reach out: I’m here to help! Working with a prenatal dietitian can help you:
- Feel confident making food choices in-line with food safety advice and pregnancy guidelines
- Ensure you’re meeting the nutritional needs for optimum growth and development of your baby (even while experiencing pregnancy symptoms such as cravings, food aversions, nausea and vomiting, or if following any kind of restrictive diet)
- Ensure your supplement regime is appropriate for your unique needs
- Positively influence your baby’s genetic programming to give your them the best possible start to life
- Correct any micronutrient deficiencies
- Achieve optimum weight gain for pregnancy
- Manage pregnancy complications including gestational diabetes
- Improve your energy levels, mood and recovery post-birth
Written by Wendy Fedele, our in-house Dietitian.
For a personalised program to achieve optimal wellbeing and maximise your fertility, Wendy is currently offering virtual consults or in-person appointments.
To learn more about how our Dietitian at Women’s Health Melbourne can support you and your menstrual cycle click here to make an appointment.