Research Projects & Publications
Current Research projects
- Dr Raelia Lew is the lead research author of Australia and New Zealand’s first clinical guidelines on elective egg freezing.
- PhD co supervisor for Sherine Sandhu investigating ‘Supporting women considering elective egg freezing: Exploration of behaviours and evaluation of an online decision aid.’
- Melbourne IVF Antioxidant trial: enriching culture
media for improved IVF outcomes
- Melbourne IVF Artificial Intelligence trial: learning
from video surveillance of IVF embryos for non-
invasive best embryo selection
- Eggsurance: NHMRC co-investigator of a decision
aid for women considering elective oocyte
- Examining the experience of parenthood for women
- Lew RM, Burnett L, Proos, AL, Delatycki M Tay-Sachs disease : current perspectives from Australia, The Application of Clinical Genetics: 2015:8, 19-25
© Copyright 2014 Dovepress.
- Lew RM, Burnett L, Proos, AL, Barlow-Stewart K, Delatycki M, Bankier A, Aizenberg H, Field MJ, Berman Y, Fleischer R, Fietz M. Ashkenazi Jewish population screening for Tay Sachs disease (TSD): the Australian experience and a systematic review of the literature. J Paed. Child Health 2014; June 24 doi: 10.1111/jpc.12632. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 24923490. © Copyright 2014 Journal of Paediatric and Child Health.
- Lew RM, Proos AL, Burnett L, Delatycki M, Bankier A, Fietz MJ. Tay Sachs disease in Australia: reduced disease incidence despite stable carrier frequency in Australian Jews. Med J Aust 2012; 197(11):652-654. © Copyright 2012 The Medical Journal of Australia.
- Lew RM, Burnett L, Proos A, Tay-Sachs disease preconception screening in Australia: self-knowledge of being an Ashkenazi Jew predicts carrier state better than does ancestral origin, although there is an increased risk for c.1421+1G>C mutation in individuals with South African heritage. J Community Genet. 2011 Dec;2(4):201-9.
© Copyright 2011, Springer Publishing.
- Lew RM, Proos, A., Burnett, L., Delatycki, M.B., Bankier, A., Fietz, M. Tay Sachs Disease: Evaluating the impact of genetic screening on disease incidence in Australia, RANZCOG 2012 Queensland New South Wales Annual Scientific meeting, Noosa, Queensland, 8 – 10 June 2012.
- Lew RM, Preconception Genetic Screening for Tay Sachs disease: An Australian Perspective Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Department of Women and Babies Annual Research Meeting, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, NSW, November 23rd 2012.
- Burnett, L, Ding, L, Lew RM, Chesher D, Proos, A. The impact of reporting exome and whole genome sequencing: Predicted frequencies of primary, secondary and incidental findings based on modelling, European Society of Human Genetics, Milan Italy, June 2014.
- Lew R, Proos A, Burnett L, Delatycki M, Bankier A, Fietz M, Tay Sachs Disease: Evaluating the impact of genetic screening on disease incidence in Australia, Building consensus in Gynaecology, Infertility and Perinatology (BCGIP) Barcelona, May 2012.
- Lew RM, Burnett L, Proos, A, Massively Parallel DNA Sequencing for Ashkenazi Jewish community pre-conception genetic screening programs: Predicted outcomes, ethical and workforce implications, British Society of Genetic Medicine (BSGM) Liverpool, UK, September 2013.
- Burnett L, Ding LC, Chesher D, Lew RM, Proos A (2013) Modelling of downstream counselling impact of ACMG Recommendations for Reporting of Incidental Findings in Clinical Exome and Genome Sequencing. 63rd Annual Meeting of The American Society of Human Genetics, Boston MA, October 2013.
- Lew RM, Burnett L, Chesher D, Proos AL, Ding, L-EC, Nguyen L (2014) Reporting findings of Massively Parallel Sequencing: A model for genetic screening of autosomal recessive conditions in at-risk communities. Twin Res. Hum. Genet. 17(4):336. Presented at HGSA 38th Annual Scientific Meeting, Adelaide, South Australia, 3-6 August 2014.
- Burnett L, Chesher D, Nguyen L, Lew RM, Proos A, Ding LC, Koe L (2014) Implications of massively parallel sequencing in screening for autosomal recessive conditions: the risk of being a “genetic wallflower”. 64th Annual Meeting of The American Society of Human Genetics, San Diego CA, October 2014.
- Lew, R et al, Ashkenazi Jewish population screening position paper, Human Genetics Society of Australasia. View more.